March 07, 2011

homemade hippy stuff

This is my laundry detergent:



I've been using it for..... well, over a month now and I love it! I'll definitely be making another batch when this one runs out.

I switched from the generic eco-friendly, unscented liquid detergent from Costco and I haven't noticed any difference at all - my clothes are just as clean as ever, and as a bonus they smell nice coming out of the washer because I used lavender soap in my concoction. The smell is gone once the clothes are dry, but if you like scents then I'm sure you could experiment with adding essential oils to the mix.

I found my recipe online somewhere, but I don't remember where. Sorry. But here's what I did:

2 cups washing soda
2 cups borax
1 bar of Dr. Bronner's pure castile soap, grated with a cheese grater

Combine all in a big bowl and mix with a fork, then transfer to a container for storage.

I'm using one heaping tablespoon per load of clothing, and two heaping tablespoons for rags and extra dirty stuff.

No comments: