April 30, 2009

a little decadence

I wish I could say that I made these brownies to celebrate the end of the semester, but the truth is that I made them last weekend and haven't gotten around to posting about them yet. I do think they deserve a post, though.

Instead of baking I've been outside soaking up the sun, and knitting. Life is good.

But back to the brownies.



Sophie and I couldn't resist trying one before I remembered to take a picture. These may just be the best brownies I've ever made. I wanted something extra special, and chocolatey, and easy, and fast; here it is:

Fudge Brownies with Walnuts and Dried Cherries
from Hershey's Chocolate Treasury and How To Be A Domestic Goddess

1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup unsifted all-purpose flour
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/4 cup chopped dried cherries

Blend oil, sugar, and vanilla in large mixing bowl. Add eggs; using a spoon, beat well. Combine flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt; gradually blend into egg mixture. Stir in nuts and cherries.

Spread in a greased 9-inch square pan. Bake at 350 degrees F for 20 to 25 minutes or until brownie begins to pull away from edges of pan. Cool; frost with Creamy Brownie Frosting. Cut into squares.

Creamy Brownie Frosting:

3 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
1 tablespoon light corn syrup or honey
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup confectioner's sugar
1 to 2 tablespoons milk

Cream butter or margarine, cocoa, corn syrup or honey, and vanilla in small mixing bowl. Add confectioner's sugar and milk; beat to spreading consistency.


Enjoy!



No comments: